Swiffer is My New Favorite Brand

by Jen Reeves on January 14, 2014 · 6 comments

in 2014, limb difference community

Have you seen it yet? An actor with a limb difference who lost a portion of his arm to cancer is featured in a national Swiffer commercial. It’s SUPER cool.

I’m so excited. I’ve heard people talking about this commercial, but I hadn’t seen it yet. Thanks to Michael for finding it and sharing it online this morning.

There is one thing I’d like to say – He’s talking about how one-handed life can be really hard. According to a newspaper article about the actor, he lost his hand to cancer, so his perspective is different from many of our kids. Jordan is the best sweeper of our house. Without a Swiffer. But I’m totally cool with her finding additional tools that could help her do housework even better.

Kathleen January 24, 2014 at 6:31 pm

Hi” I just found your blog searching for the new swiffer commercial to show my husband. My daughter Jocelyn was born with a congenital amputation in July of 1989. She’ll be 25 this year. Her limb difference has never stopped her from doing anything she set her mind to and is actually a very accomplished seamstress! I will be reading your blog in the future!

Jen Lee Reeves January 24, 2014 at 6:55 pm

It’s great to meet you, Kathleen. Thanks for dropping by and please share your experiences whenever you think it’s appropriate!

Dez January 30, 2014 at 10:51 pm

It is so wonderful to finally see commercials portraying REAL people! I just love it. Maybe we are becoming better human beings afterall?

maria February 4, 2014 at 5:53 pm

I was impressed that they actually showed someone on national TV with a limb discrepancy, however I didn’t like the part where he says “I can’t help out as much as I used to” In the real world that we live in “can’t” isn’t a word I like or use very often. I may do things differently, or adapt but I “can” do them, and often times better than those with 2 hands!

Jen Lee Reeves February 5, 2014 at 8:52 am

@Maria – I agree. It’s a bummer the ad focuses on the negative when many of us understand one-hand is just as helpful as two.

Terry February 9, 2014 at 11:01 am

I love that commercial…the fact that Jack has on;y one hand and that he is married to a woman who is not white and that he has two mullato children. Of course I will never buy anything but the Swiffer brand because of that particular commercial.