She figures everything out

by Jen Reeves on January 11, 2010 · 10 comments

in 2010

I shared this on Facebook… but I felt like I needed to share this with my blog friends too. Miss Jordan continues to show me that she can do anything… with or without her helper arm. She got a surprise pancake breakfast and had asked me to cut it up… After I had cut the pancakes in one direction, she asked to use the knife and finish cutting the pancakes strips into pancake bites. I figured I’d just humor her.. Until she actually started cutting her food and doing it well! I had to take a picture because she seriously figures everything out. Everything.

Louise Kinross January 11, 2010 at 5:34 am

That is so cool! Congratulations Jordan!

Lisa Anderson January 11, 2010 at 9:10 am

WOW! She’s one impressive little problem solver! Tell her I’m going to want to see this one in person!

Cheryl January 11, 2010 at 1:34 pm

I didn’t think most kids w/2 hands could manage to cut things til closer to 5. I am really impressed at how steady she has the fork. It doesn’t look wobbly at all. I myself find any way possible to not use knifes even though I can (I do have CP, thus hand issues) and prefer to “cut” pancakes with the side of my fork. Only 1 hand needed…

Renee J January 12, 2010 at 8:53 pm

That is so cool.

Barbara January 19, 2010 at 6:06 pm

Very impressive! If she (or Cheryl) would like to try another method (for softer foods like pancakes) try a pizza cutter.

Heather Hostetter January 25, 2010 at 6:26 am

That is so cool! I hope maddie will figure things out just like Jordan:o) She has a few years on her!! thanks for keeping us updated!!!

Kristi January 26, 2010 at 10:11 am

That’s awesome! My 4 yr old son, who has a very similar limb difference to your daughter, came up to me not long ago and showed me that he cut his own fingernails. Of course, my reaction was, ‘Wow, how did you do that? Show mommy!” He ran and got the nail clippers, carefully balanced them against his chest and used his little arm for the clipping motion. It was amazing! I never would have thought he could do that (at least at his age) and I’m so glad he isn’t limited by *my* ideas of what might be possible for him.

NerdyMom January 26, 2010 at 12:24 pm

Oh wow Kristi! That is SO cool. I had just assumed in my mind that she’d never be able to trim her own nails. I was already trying to figure out how to budget manicure money for when she gets older! Ha!

Christa January 26, 2010 at 7:56 pm

That is so beautiful:)

Lis May 1, 2010 at 11:46 am

That is really funny – my daughter, 4, has a very similar arm to Jordan’s. And I’ve also had the thought about budgeting manicure money for her when she gets older. The fact that other moms might think the same made me laugh out loud, but I enjoyed the posting about how Kristi’s son can do it himself. We’ve gotta keep the faith!